Research & Product Development Manager
Initiate, coordinate, and implement new product initiatives on new and existing products. Ensure research and development responsibilities are aligned with various areas of the business such as procurement, quality assurance, production, and marketing. Accountable for all product development activities and documentation from ideation to first production approval and assist in establishing shelf life and food safety standards.
· Create and Approve new product formulas, processing procedures and raw material ingredients for Value Added items
· Document and maintain all formula’s in Aqua Star format in the Product Development folder and ensure product formula library is updated and current
· Complete cost components on new formula’s
· Ensure product formula’s adhere to Aqua Star brand or respective PL brand standards
· Accountable for hands-on development of bench top samples for new items and for customer presentations, …….as required
· Assist with production implementation/commercialization of finished product formula’s and ensure bench top quality and product attributes are maintained
· Keep abreast of new innovations or food trends, ingredients and relevant processes
· Manage all product development activities from ideation to first production.
· Attend Value Added plant trials and first productions as required
· Develop proper consumer and operator preparation instructions
· Review products at every stage of the product development cycle to ensure product sensory standards are maintained in finished product
· Responsible for accurate ingredient declarations data of new products….obtaining raw material specifications
· Manage and prioritize R & D team activities according to the business needs . (Please note: Overseas travel is a requirement .)
Experience & Skills
· Minimum 10 years experience in a food processing or research & development capacity
· Seafood or frozen food experience is a plus but not required
· Must have knowledge and understanding of the functionality of food ingredients, food chemistry nutrition and processing
· Must be detailed oriented and proficient in excel, word and outlook
· Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
· B.S. degree in Food Science is required
· A culinary background is a plus but not required.